Sunday, August 31, 2008

Marlene's Never-Fail Bread

Okay, so this is the much-anticipated entry about my breadmaking experience. This is more a review of a recipe than an actual recipe. Someone at church said the best food storage cookbook is Marlene's Magic With Food Storage. I purchased the cookbook, and the picture above is the first recipe I tried. It is called "Marlene's Never-Fail Bread" on page 144.

She says you can also use this recipe to make cinnamon rolls, donuts, hotdog and hamburger buns, and dinner rolls. It uses such ingredients as yeast, potato flakes, and powdered milk, all of which are ingredients you would have if you were living off your year's supply of food.

The recipe makes seven loaves of bread. Since I had only three bread pans, I made three loaves of bread, one round loaf, one pan of rolls, hotdog buns, and hamburger buns.

To jump to the conclusion, I was not all that impressed. This is why:

1. The recipe made such a huge amount of dough that it wouldn't fit in one huge bowl.

2. The recipe called for kneading the dough 10 minutes. Since I had to split the dough into 2 huge amounts, I actually had to knead for 20 minutes.

3. The recipe called for 16 cups of flour, but I ended up using closer to 20 cups--which seemed like half of my bucket of flour!

4. The bread had a bland taste, which is perfect for sandwiches and buns (you don't want to overpower the toppings). It is definitely not the kind of bread you would want to eat by itself fresh out of the oven--not without a lot of butter and jam, anyway.

5. The bread had a crumbly texture.

So, I 've still got a ton of bread in my freezer that I need to find some use for...

Does anyone else have this recipe book, and, if so, have you had any luck with the recipes?

No comments: