Saturday, February 16, 2008

Butter Crunch



This is a candy my family begs me to make each Christmas. We go through at least 5-6 batches. I got the recipe from my grandmother, who still makes it. I leave the nuts out because my daughter is allergic to nuts, and the recipe still turns out great.

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 tbs water
1 tbs light corn syrup
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
1 package (6 oz.) chocolate chips

Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar, water, and corn syrup. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly, to 290° on candy thermometer. Remove from heat and stir in nuts. Pour onto parchment paper and spread. Melt chocolate chips and spread half over the cooled candy. When firm, turn crunch over and spread remaining cholcolate chips. When firm, break into pieces. Store where cool.