Sunday, February 24, 2008

Peach French Toast

This recipe comes from my friend Diane, who loves to cook. She made this casserole for me, and I had to have the recipe. If I'm involved in any kind of brunch, this is what I make. In my version, I have added more peaches. Her recipe calls for just 1 29-oz. can of peaches.

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine
2 TBS. water
2 29-oz. cans sliced peaches, drained well
French bread, sliced and then halved
5 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 TBS. vanilla
cinnamon

Bring brown sugar, margarine, and water to a boil over medium heat (not too high because the mixture can burn easily). Simmer for ten minutes. Pour into 9X13 pan. The mixture immediately hardens. Top with peaches. Place French bread slices on top. Whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla and pour slowly over French bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Cover and refrigerate overnight (or at least 6 hours). Get casserole out of the refrigerator half an hour before you plan to bake it (sometimes I skip this part and bake it a couple of minutes longer). Put foil over it and bake it at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 25-30 more minutes.

No comments: